Official Documentation Path for New Churches
After District approval, you will need to set up your official documentation for your new church. You will need an EIN# and 501c3 set up before you can get a bank account to receive donations. Getting the legal documentation set up is often confusing for church planters, but don’t you worry, we’ve made it really easy. Just smile and follow the steps below!
1 | Select a Church Name
Before your new church can become official it needs a name. Choosing a great church name is important. Click HERE to download an article entitled, “How to Choose a Great Church Name.”
2 | Establish an Address
If you do not have a permanent church facility, consider getting a P.O. Box instead of using your personal home address. In most areas, a P.O. Box is less than $25 per year. A church name is all that is needed for obtaining a P.O. Box. Some local mail shops are now offering P.O. Boxes with an actual address rather than a P.O. Box address.
3 | Get an EIN# (Tax ID)
4 | Notice of New Church Listing and 501c3
5 | Establish a Church Bank Account
6 | Register on Pastor Portal (Wesleyan.org)
Create your new account on the Wesleyan Pastor’s Portal.
1. Go to Wesleyan.org/pastors
2. On the login page click “register” on the right side of the screen
3. On the Register Account screen you need to enter your first name, last name, email, and password. The email address will become your login username. The password must be a minimum of six characters in length, contain at least one letter, and contain at least one number or symbol. List of approved symbols !@#$%^&*
5. Click “Submit.” If the registration was successful you will see a message stating, “An email has been sent to you at (the email address they entered).” You must verify your email address is legit. Check your inbox or junk email folder to activate your account.
6. The system will send you an email. Inside the email you need to click on the link, which verifies your account. If there is a pastor record in the database with the same email address the system will automatically approve the request. If there is not a match of email addresses then you will receive an email from Wesleyan.org granting your approval.
7 | DBA Approval Items
Keep in mind, your District may require special District Board of Administration (DBA) approval for certain items. Be sure to double check with your District leadership when you come in contact with any of these dynamics:
-Any expenditure that is over 10% of the budget
-Signing of ANY legal/binding contract
-Purchase of land or building
-Lease of building of any type
-Hiring of Staff