Current President Dr. Mark Gorveatte, sensing a call to serve more directly the local church, has announced his resignation at Kingswood University effective June 30, 2015. The Board of Trustees authorized the Presidential Search Committee to seek a candidate who can meet and exceed the high standards set by former presidents who have, by God’s grace, guided the university to a consistent and effective goal of equipping Christ-like servant leaders for global impact.
The next president will take office at a pivotal moment in the history of the university. Owned and operated by The Wesleyan Church, Kingswood is the denomination’s only post-secondary institution that serves the entire North American General Conference with the sole purpose of preparing men and women to serve the church.
Currently, the university offers a Master of Arts in Pastoral Theology (MAPT) degree, three Bachelor degrees, two Associate of Arts degrees, and a TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) certificate. Just this year, the university enhanced its capstone internship semester in collaboration with several large churches. Year-long ministry residencies for Kingswood graduates and students enrolled in the Master of Arts in Pastoral Theology degree program enhance the combination of first-rate academics with learning experiences in frontline ministry.
Kingswood University has worked diligently to ensure long-term financial viability while addressing existing needs. Indebtedness has been reduced to only $1.9 million. Additionally, over the last six years, $1.6 million was invested in capital improvements to the campus without incurring any additional debt.
Kingswood University seeks a president with strong pastoral and academic credentials, including an appropriate advanced degree. A strong candidate for the presidency would:
- Exhibit personal commitment to Christ and the fruit of the Spirit. Practice a lifestyle consistent with Christian principles, the authority of Scripture and Wesleyan doctrine. Foster the spiritual vibrancy on campus through spiritual leadership.
- Lead as a true visionary and with Christian beliefs and practices. Lead faculty, staff, and students towards academic excellence, ministry effectiveness, and holy character. Effectively envision new initiatives.
- Build trust, a sense of teamwork, and community with both internal and external constituencies by using excellent social interaction skills. Give appropriate attention to ethnic, cultural, and gender diversity when recruiting and developing university leadership.
- Develop, implement, and maintain strategic plans effectively. Assess current church and public educational landscape with a view toward emerging trends. Be Kingswood University’s lead fundraiser.
- Take Kingswood University into the future, spiritually discerning church and societal needs.