The Twenty-Seventh General Conference wisely turned to Roy S. Nicholson to be its full-time president and carry forward its agenda. He tackled this herculean task, as he said, “with fear and trembling.” There were no precedents to follow, only past practices which in some instances tended to delay progress. There were sincere differences of opinion as to the best method to implement the reorganization plan for the Church. There was suspicion, undue criticism, foot dragging, and strong opposition. Had he not possessed the qualities of a good leader – integrity, a sense of responsibility, courage, vision, an open mind, the gift of communication, commitment to his assignment, patience, and determination to accomplish his mandate, the plan for reorganization could have failed.
Nicholson reported that as president he had participated in more than 4,500 religious services and public or private conferences, traveled more than 100,000 miles, wrote an average of 10 letters per day, and authored articles for The Wesleyan Methodist in practically every issue. He served as the representative to the general assemblies of The Church of the Nazarene and The Pilgrim Holiness Church, the general conference of The Free Methodist Church, the annual convention of the National Holiness Association, the National Association Of Evangelicals, and the advisory council of the American Bible Society. The rest of his time was spent in efforts to implement reorganization! – Reformers and Revivalists, Wayne E. Caldwell, Editor

The Young Nicholson

Samuel and Beulah Nicholson were rejoicing one Sunday in their little home in Walhalla, South Carolina. They had agreed that if their first child was a son, he would be named Roy Stephen. On that July morning in 1903, their first child, a boy, arrived. Later, Roy became big brother to four little sisters: Alma, Agnes, Julia, and Mary Lee.
Roy did not remember when he was first taken to church for he always went. There were daily prayers at home and his mother always prayed with her children, but there came a time when he felt that he must go to the altar and ask God to save him.
After Roy was saved, he knew that God wanted him to become a preacher. Often while sitting on his mother’s lap as she read from the Bible, he would interrupt to tell her, “I am going to preach on that someday!”
When Roy was 12 years, old he went to work in a cotton mill. He worked from six o’clock in the morning until six in the evening five days a week. On Saturdays, he worked until noon. He received $2.40 for his long week of hard work. But he kept only 25 cents to spend for himself. The rest went to help his parents.
One winter, when Roy was 14, a revival was held. God spoke to him very clearly. He know he must decide whether he would follow his own plans or let God have his life. He chose God’s way.
World War I was raging in Europe. Then, word came that Central College would open November 11, 1918. At 15, Roy began his college career. Before he left home, his mother prayed with him. He never forgot her prayer. His father took a five-dollar bill-all the money he had-and gave it to his son. Then he turned away with tears. Roy never went back to the old home life again. His dream was leading him in another direction. Someday, it would lead him around the world. – “A Boy With A Dream – The Life of Roy S. Nicholson”

Roy S. Nicholson served The Wesleyan Methodist Church in every general elective office except as publisher and secretary of world missions. His influence and contribution even to those ministries were extraordinarily strong and effective. He was the dominant figure in the latter period of the history of The Wesleyan Methodist Church (1935-1968). His contribution to the Wesleyan Methodist Church stands alongside such notable Wesleyans as Orange Scott, Adam Crooks, and Eber Teter.

Roy S. Nicholson – Family Camp, Colfax NC., 1971

Roy S. Nicholson – Study Of First John (Colfax Family Camp 1984)

Roy S. Nicholson – “Being A Godly Man” Colfax NC., 1985

Roy S. Nicholson – Sermons

Roy S. Nicholson Papers – Downloads